Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
> Oh it'll be TCP,  all right. I was just thinking of the way that Erlang uses
> to specify PIDs, with strings containing embedded machine identifiers. But
> we know that the Erlang way works, because Ericsson supposedly has
> distributed applications with literally millions of distributed processes.

And just look at some of the options the Linux kernel (2.6.22) provides
just for congestion control and quality of service:

    --- TCP: advanced congestion control
    <M>   Binary Increase Congestion (BIC) control
    <*>   CUBIC TCP
    <M>   TCP Westwood+
    <M>   H-TCP
    <M>   High Speed TCP
    <M>   TCP-Hybla congestion control algorithm
    <M>   TCP Vegas
    <M>   Scalable TCP
    <M>   TCP Low Priority
    <M>   TCP Veno
          Default TCP congestion control (Cubic)  --->

    [*] QoS and/or fair queueing
          Packet scheduler clock source (CPU cycle counter)  --->
    ---   Queueing/Scheduling
    <M>   Class Based Queueing (CBQ)
    <M>   Hierarchical Token Bucket (HTB)
    <M>   Hierarchical Fair Service Curve (HFSC)
    <M>   ATM Virtual Circuits (ATM)
    <M>   Multi Band Priority Queueing (PRIO)
    <M>   Random Early Detection (RED)
    <M>   Stochastic Fairness Queueing (SFQ)
    <M>   True Link Equalizer (TEQL)
    <M>   Token Bucket Filter (TBF)
    <M>   Generic Random Early Detection (GRED)

    <M>   Differentiated Services marker (DSMARK)
    <M>   Network emulator (NETEM)
    <M>   Ingress Qdisc
    ---   Classification
    <M>   Elementary classification (BASIC)
    <M>   Traffic-Control Index (TCINDEX)
    <M>   Routing decision (ROUTE)
    <M>   Netfilter mark (FW)
    <M>   Universal 32bit comparisons w/ hashing (U32)
    [*]     Performance counters support
    [*]     Netfilter marks support
    <M>   IPv4 Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP)
    <M>   IPv6 Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP6)
    [*]   Extended Matches
    (32)    Stack size
    <M>     Simple packet data comparison
    <M>     Multi byte comparison
    <M>     U32 key
    <M>     Metadata
    <M>     Textsearch
    [*]   Actions
    <M>     Traffic Policing
    <M>     Generic actions
    [*]       Probability support
    <M>     Redirecting and Mirroring
    <M>     IPtables targets
    <M>     Packet Editing
    < >     Simple Example (Debug)
    [*]   Incoming device classification
    ---   Rate estimator

Someone insanely geekier than I am ought to be able to squeeze all the
delays out of this given all those options.