On Aug 30, 2007, at 11:40 PM, Bill Kelly wrote:

> From: "John Joyce" <dangerwillrobinsondanger / gmail.com>
>> On Aug 30, 2007, at 8:06 PM, Bill Kelly wrote:
>>> I have not yet tried Gosu myself; but just out of curiosity,
>>> what sorts of things did you find hard to do with it?
>> hmm. Beyond the tutorial? more than fiddling with the tutorial?
>> Couldn't do much. Maybe I'm missing something.
>
> OK.  I guess I'm unclear now on whether you found specific
> capabilities lacking or missing in Gosu?  E.g. you have a
> particular kind of game in mind, and Gosu didn't seem to
> provide the functionality needed to implement your idea?
>
> Might i enquire as to what genre of game you had in mind?
> I've written several and may be able to help.
>
> BTW, there are some small games on this page, written in
> Gosu, that come with source code:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/gosu/wiki/GosuUsers
>

> Regards,
>
> Bill

Yeah, I checked out some of those. But the code was, admittedly,
undocumented for at least one of those.
To boot, neither one had much in common beyond the basic structure.
That's not bad, but it wasn't terribly helpful.
My goal is to create a knockoff of the original Legend of Zelda. A
fairly simple top-down 2d game.
I was having a bit of trouble getting movement to be only vertical or
horizontal. That's not so crucial.
However, I didn't see any obvious method of collisions based on the
graphic shape.
In one of those examples there was some small degree of sprite
animation, but couldn't make sense of it.
I'm totally new to the game thing, so maybe I'm missing some of the
standard code that would be found anywhere.
My plan is to first work out player movement, enemy movent, combat
between the two, then work out all the littler details of items and
what not.