On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, john%johnknight.com / pop.business.earthlink.net wrote:
>  Is CLOS (common lisp object system) an actor in this world still? Or
> is there some other scheme or lisp or guile version that deserves to
> be included? I am just asking I don't have the knowledge to
> contribute.

CLOS is still relevant. It's still used. It's the most known object system
for any flavour of LISP with parentheses. There are more books about CLOS
than about Ruby, and probably it will stay that way in 2002.

CLOS is also worth including just because it's very different from others,
and represents a particular point of view. In that light, Self is also a
language that would be worthy of inclusion. However, Self does not run on
many machines, although its has close relatives which do (JavaScript,
SmallScript, Brain).

If I want to classify OO languages, one way to do it is like this:

object-centric: Self, JavaScript, ...
class-centric: SmallTalk, C++, Java, ...
method-centric: CLOS, Dylan, ...

Another reason why CLOS is relevant is that it had two-thirds of the
features of Aspect-Oriented Programming for about ten years before it
became a buzzword. (and buzzword is relative: it is on ruby-talk...)

Mathieu Bouchard                   http://hostname.2y.net/~matju