E.D.G. wrote:
> Important Research Project  (Related to computer programming)
>
> Posted by E.D.G. on August 30, 2007 edgrsprj / ix.netcom.com
>
>     This report is being posted to a number of Internet Newsgroups to see if
> there are any experienced computer programmers who would like to provide
> some assistance with an effort to develop a Perl language computer program.
>
>     Interested parties can try contacting me by e-mail or by posting a
> response note to the comp.lang.perl.misc newsgroup.  They would need to
> download a recent (free) MSI copy of Perl from the ActiveState Web site and
> get it running on a Windows XP or Vista system.
>
> http://www.activestate.com
>
>     I am presently using Perl 5.8.8 but plan to upgrade to the latest
> version as soon as possible.  People can use Windows 98 if that is the only
> operating system available.  Perl also runs on other operating systems.  But
> at this time I specifically need help with the Windows version.
>
>     The goal is to have a single Perl program (or modules) perform functions
> that have been done by a sizeable collection of other language programs in
> the past.
>
>     Help is presently needed with learning how to get Perl to generate
> charts and also produce standalone .exe copies of itself.  The plan is to
> then make those .exe copies available to other scientific researchers around
> the world for free use along with free use updates when they become
> available.  If other researchers wish to get Perl running on their own
> computers then they will probably also be given the source code for the
> original program for free use so that they can do their own development
> work.
>
>     Perl was originally chosen because it is quite versatile, is a free
> download, and is supported both by ActiveState and quite a few independent
> programmers.  So other researchers could get their own versions running
> without having to worry about viruses or cost.
>
>     So far the work is fairly advanced.  The effort has been underway for at
> least a decade.  The core data generation program was formally copyrighted
> several years ago.  My present version of Perl will send data to Windows as
> if it were being manually typed into the keyboard (important for controlling
> other programs).  And it can directed to respond to most keystrokes even
> when another program is the active one.  Unfortunately, Windows also
> presently responds to those keystrokes.  And that complicates things a bit.
>
>     Not being a professional computer programmer I have been finding it
> difficult to get new features such as a chart generating ability merged with
> and running with Perl.  And the entire research project is now being slowed
> as a result.  One of my colleagues has done an extensive amount of work with
> Basic.  And I even offered to pay him to help with the Perl development
> effort.  But after he downloaded a copy of Perl and examined it he decided
> [...]

Well ... aside from the incongruity of posting such a request for Perl
expertise on a Ruby list, I do happen to be an experienced Perl
programmer and am very familiar with the ActiveState implementation.
Moreover, I happen to own an ActiveState Perl Development Kit license,
which from the way your post reads would be a requirement to work on
this project.

I'm curious, though, why you want to re-invent a bunch of wheels? Aren't
tide tables and other astronomical calculations freely available from
various governmental agencies, in algorithm form, as tables, both
printed and on web sites, and by other means? Couldn't you just write
some simple code using modules from the ActiveState repository to go
grab data off the web and present it?

The last time I looked, the ActiveState repository had *most* of what's
in CPAN. You have to be careful about versions -- just loading things
directly from CPAN into ActiveState can get you into trouble, but as
long as you load your modules from the ActiveState repository you should
be OK.