Stefan Rusterholz wrote:

> SDL is supposed to use the OSes libs to render the stuff. But Rubygame3
> moves away from SDL actually. It goes towards OpenGL and OpenALSA. It
> has other interesting developments in it too, e.g. a collision framework
> for the primitive shapes.
>
> Regards
> Stefan
> --

The Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) creates an abstraction over various
platforms' graphics, sound, and input APIs, SDL has the word "layer" in its
title because it is actually a wrapper around the Operating Systems typical
ways of doing things. This means that it essentially wraps around DirectX on
MSWIN, Qartz on OSX, and Xlib for X11 based systems (*BSD, Solaris, Linux/GNU,
e.t.c.). I'm not familiar with SDL, DX, Quarts, or Xlib but SDL would be my
first choice if I was working on a First Person Shooter ;-)

off topic: what on earth is OpenALSA??? The OSS Emulation mode for ALSA??

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ippimail.com