------art_20676_246150.1188329897425

On 8/28/07, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005 / gmail.com> wrote:

>   Yeah I get it...sometimes a socket that is *only* used for sending will
> magically 'receive'...its own output! Wow!  And other weirdness.  Mostly
> on slower machines.  It is odd.  I noticed Zed Shaw said he'd run into
> the same thing (and was unable to track down the cause) in some thread
> or other here.  I honestly don't get it, either, but I think it's half
> the motivation to the creation of EventMachine.
>
> Just my own $0.02

By way of adding 0.02 cents of my own: EventMachine was motivated by the
desire to get extremely high performance and scalability (meaning, large
numbers of simultaneously connected sockets). (What I was really thinking
of, in addition to enterprise-caliber network servers, was high-speed
interprocess messaging.) And of course it's accepted by many people that if
you're going to get high performance and scalability together, you have to
get rid of threads. Hence the event-driven approach. The tradeoff is that
programs are somewhat trickier to write, but a large number of EventMachine
protocol handlers mitigate that problem.

In Linux, EM can easily handle tens of thousands of connections in a single
process without noticeable performance degradation or high memory
consumption.

------art_20676_246150.1188329897425--