Roger Pack wrote:
> I think that did it! Thank you!
> Where is the documentation for this stuff???

It is mentioned in the socket section in the Pickaxe (ed. 1 is on-line
somewhere, ed. 2 is worth buying). But if you don't know what you're
looking for that doesn't help...

It's just one of those gotchas that keeps coming up. A similar one is

   Thread.abort_on_exception = true

(otherwise threads die silently on unhandled exceptions).

> I assume that it does a reverse lookup on every socket? If that's the
> case I might <cough> put in a request to ruby to only do reverse DNS
> when it is requested (lazily)...hmm...

IIRC, the reverse lookup only happens if you call something like
sock.addr or sock.peeraddr, and you've left Socket.do_not_reverse_lookup
= false.