On 8/28/07, Peter Marks <petertmarks / gmail.com> wrote:
> Follow up question:
>
> How might I be able to make multiple placeholders within a text file? I
> thought this would work:
>
> File.open("source.txt", "r") do |src|
>   File.open("sink.txt", "w") do |sink|
>      src.each_line { |line| sink.write(line.gsub(/placeholder/, "word"))
>                                      sink.write(line.gsub(/placeholder2/,
> "word2"))
> }
>   end
> end
>
> , but my newbie assumptions were mistaken. Any ideas?

Nearly there though ;-)
I think you can connect all the gsub's together for that effect.

File.open("source.txt", "r") do |src|
File.open("sink.txt", "w") do |sink|
	src.each_line { |line|
		sink.write(line.gsub(/placeholder/, "word").gsub(/placeholder2/,"word2"))
	}

You could also create a Hash for placeholder => word in case you have
a lot of things that needs to be changed.

--
J-H Johansen