No, I'm not that dense, I know OREILLY chooses random animals at
times, but sometimes they get a kind of them going with the animals
for a language. (camel, llama...  )
Maybe it just seems that way... coincidental things...
Same guy's Learning Ruby book has the same giraffe with a baby one
too on the cover.
oh well, I was hoping there would be some more interesting info
behind this stuff.

Maybe my mind just sees patterns where there are none. I seriously
always visualize the cover of Programming Perl when I see or hear
'camel caps'/'camel case'. When I see the book cover, I think of
camel-case words...