Lloyd Linklater wrote:
> Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>> On Aug 26, 2007, at 11:13 , Lionel Bouton wrote:
>>
>>> Real (wo)men program in machine language with an hex editor only.
>> You use a hex editor? Real hackers use only ones and zerosand that's
>> only if they have ones.
>
> You had zeros?  I worked for a company that could not afford zeros.  We
> had to use the letter "O".

Be careful ... I understand Scott Adams is rather nasty about people
stealing his better Dilbert lines. :) But ... in truth, although ILLIAC
I assembler did have symbolic *addressing*, it did not have symbolic op
codes ... the machine language of the system was so simple and logical
that they weren't needed.

Other notes on that bygone day -- programmers used hexadecimal notation,
but it was called "sexideciaml". And after 9 you had either K, S, N, J,
F, L or +, -, N, J, F, L. Those happened to be the right codes on the
five-hole paper tape that the Teletypes punched.