On 8/26/07, Nick el <schaefer88 / gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to find out what programming language would be best for
> creating a MMORPG game/engine.  After some responses elsewhere I've
> decided to choose between Java and Ruby.

I am curious as to why you selected those 2, or why you are restricting
yourself to one language only.

> I recently posted a question asking which is faster.  Now I want to know
> which would be better for creating a 2D MMORPG game / engine.  By 2D I
> mean using the arrow keys to walk around and attacking with a certain
> key etc...  Pretty good graphics for a 2D game (RMXP graphics, if you
> know what I mean).  Along with the role playing feel with skills and
> quests.  So I'd  like to know whether Ruby could do this or am I better
> off using Java?  Thanks for any help.

In a MMORPG (or any MMOG for that matter), your main problem is
co-ordinating game world state with sufficient latency across hundreds
or thousands of players.

If you could somehow make this DB driven, it would play to Ruby/Rails
strengths. You need this to be easy and cheap to do. Java's processing
power and good threading would also be good here, but to be honest,
if I was developing a massively concurrent system, I don't think that I
would be choosing either of these except as a prototyping tool. This
is the kind of project that would make me learn Erlang for instance.

I would do more research on this, like what the MMOG dev community
normally uses to power their servers. I know that many game development
forums have rules against asking for MMOG design advice (standard
answer: You don't have the resources, quit now.).

As for the client end, you have lots of options. I wouldn't rule out Flash
for instance. Also Lua tends to be the dominant scripting language in
games development. Mostly though you want to go with something
that has good support ecology (tooling, books, proven in the game space).