On Aug 26, 2007, at 7:29 PM, Stefan Rusterholz wrote:

> John Joyce wrote:
>>> Stefan
>>>
>> Well, that's good to hear but their web site must be woefully out of
>> date!
>> It isn't very informative.
>> neither is the RDOC on it.
>> I'd love to try it out, but it looked pretty tutorial-less.
>>
>> I will look at it again after I play with gosu more first.
>
> No RDOC? http://rubygame.sourceforge.net/doc/2_0_0/ - I think there it
> is. Linked from the frontpage ( http://rubygame.sourceforge.net ) too
> (the old http://rubygame.seul.org/ links to that page for quite some
> time now). But agreed, the website isn't very informative. But
> since IRC
> is more my medium of choice and he's there regularly that was never
> much
> of a concern to me :)
> Btw., I didn't mean to say gosu wasn't well maintained. It's just that
> rubygame seemed to me to make more progress and overall looked more
> promising. I hope I didn't cause any hard feelings. If so, my sincere
> apologies, it was unintended.
>
> Regards
> Stefan
> --

perhaps a slight misunderstanding. My post could be read to mean 'no
RDOC' but what I meant was that the RDOCs were not too informative
either. Unfortunately, I've never much liked IRC, but I am eager to
get to rubygame after I toy around a bit more with gosu. So far so
good. I finished the Gosu tutorial for Ruby and in the process
changed a lot of things to fit my own visual design, while keeping
with the tutorial's main game structure. gosu's use of hardware
acceleration is pretty good.
If rubygame is using opengl, then it should also take advantage of
hardware accelleration (at least on OS X, no idea about windows) But
gosu stayed responsive thus far with only the occasional flicker of a
sprite. Now it's just the messy matter of designing something
manageable for one person and building it without too much spaghetti.

No hard feelings about anything! I'm new to any kind of game
development, so I have no idea what would be more or less promising! :)
In my case, however, I'm aiming to just create something nostalgic of
the 80's era of games in order to focus on the game itself, rather
than graphics. I can do graphics well, but that's a distraction from
actual game design.