Wow thanks for all the support everyone!

QUOTE:
How do you know that both Ruby and Java are not both too slow?
How do you know that both Ruby and Java are not both way fast enough?
Well, have any of you played any kind MORPG?  Ever heard of lag?  I hate
lag and I want little of it as possible.  But I guess that also depends
on the quality of the code.

QUOTE:
Programmers should write clear code (in a clear language) and never try
to guess what will be slow. It's easier to make clear code fast than
make fast code clear.
You've got a point there.  That just revised my thinking.

QUOTE:
I'm wondering why some programmers with little experience (at least in
Ruby) want to program a MMORPG in Ruby... IIRC the last questions on the
subject didn't even specify if they were speaking of the client or the
server side (or do they already have a fully decentralised MMORPG
architecture working in their head?).
Well, I guess I over exaggerated by saying "MMORPG".  But don't a lot of
people with their games (they have a small community and still call it a
MMORPG)?  I guess I'm talking like that now.  It's not going to be to
big (I think) but it will hopefully draw interest.  I don't plan on
immediately making the game.  I'm going to spend a very long time
learning the language.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.  Now I will decide.