I would use Ruby and then use C to do lower level tasks: including making use
of any Ruby bindings to things such as SDL to keep more of it in the Ruby
world. If the game is small enough you could probably do it all in Ruby or
Java without any thing to worry about. Unless of course you expect it to run
on old hardware (like 15-30 years old hardware).

A simple point being, Ruby is easier on most peoples time then C while C is
more efficient of the machines time then ours.

My experience with Java is roughly a decade out of date.... But in my opinion
Java has a good *design* on a number of things but is to verbose and annoying
to be *great* language. I've always found the common 'Hello world!' programs
most language introductions start with as a good way to see just how much
typing is expected for small tasks. I remember when I first started Java, I
thought system.out.println() was nicely arranged but so much more typing then
printf(). I learned a lot through studying Java but did my darn'st to _not_
write any Java programs.

I've found Ruby to be a very good balance for many things. While it might not
be the fastest on execution time but it makes a tremendous improvement in the
amount of time spent testing and debugging code. Even if you just chalk it off
to less lines of code needed for more complex tasks, Ruby is more efficient
for a lot of things. Things that are hard to do in Ruby or proof to much of a
bottleneck. Can be moved into a C Extension; if neccessary & you know how,
optimised at a lower level then Ruby as well. C is beautiful, Ruby is
Effective, together they are probably awesome in some ways xD

I was once told the language you find yourself using most is the one that best
suits you. That is what I usually suggest for people to use, the language that
suits them best. Why code in one language if you are better able to produce
quality code in another unless you had to?

TerryP.

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ippimail.com