tobyclemson / gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone suggest the best way to pass a Logger object around between
> all the classes in an application?
>
> Currently I have it set in a constant in the top-level but I don't
> feel that this is the best way to do it as it couples the code in each
> of my classes to the current implementation and makes it difficult for
> me to reuse the code elsewhere without first setting up a logger
> instance of the same name.
>
> Thanks,
> Toby

Actually I use a whole different approach. I do all logging with
$stderr.puts(LogMessage.new(message, ...)) (I actually have methods like
info, error etc. in Kernel that make the task easier, but that's what's
going on). LogMessage has a to_s method, so if the lib is used in an
environment that doesn't make use of the LogMessage object, it will be
IO#puts which calls to_s on it.

Regards
Stefan