Hi,

I am newbie to Ruby so please spare me if the question looks silly. My
question is how to append data at the beginning of a file?

Suppose I have a file named test.rb which contains some text, say
"This is first line
This is second line"

Now if I wanted to append some data at the beginning of the file, lets
say
"This line has to be appended at the beginning of the file"

My program

filename = File.open("test","a") do |f|
  f.puts "This line should appear at the top of each file";
  f.close();
end

is appending at the end of the file. So the output is:

"This is first line
This is second line
This line has to be appended at the beginning of the file"

I searched the forums and found that if I use IO:seek and then try to
append data to the existing file the earlier content which are in the
first lines will get replaced. Is there any easy solution so that I can
get a final output like:

"This line has to be appended at the beginning of the file
This is first line
This is second line"