Hi,

I'm trying to use rb-gsl under Windows, but I'm stuck.
What I've done so far:

1. downloaded gsl-1.9 and compiled it under cygwin
2. downloaded rb-gsl-1.92 and ran ruby setup.rb all
   I had some problems with that. config ran fine, make ran fine until
the link step, then the linker complained. I think the problem is that
there are two search pathes given for the linker. The first one is
/usr/lib, the second one is /usr/local/lib. As far as I can see /usr/lib
had an older version of libgsl.a, the newly compiled version (see step
1.) got put in /usr/local/lib.
I tried to re-run step 1. with the option --exec-prefix /usr. This
updated libgsl.a in /usr/lib, however I still had the linker problem in
step 2.
I eventually overcame the problem by calling the linker directly but
omitting the -L "/usr/lib" switch. After that I was able to run ruby
setup.rb install, which installed the gsl stuff under
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8.

That's how far I got so far.
I can run some of the samples in cygwin successful (the ones without
graphics output). I'm not able to run some of the samples that use
plot-utils, even though I've installed it (see below).

$ which graph
/usr/bin/graph

$ ruby -S histo3d.rb
./histo3d.rb:34:in `graph': GNU plotutils required (NoMethodError)
        from ./histo3d.rb:34

Anybody any idea how to get this working.

Anyhow, my real goal is to install the rb-gsl under windows (not using
cygwin).
So my question:
How do I install rb-gsl in my windows installation of ruby (sitting in
c:\ruby).
Do I simply copy the rb_gsl.so file into one of the ruby sub-directories
(which?), or is there a "proper" way of doing it like ruby setup.rb
install ???

And finally, is there a way to install the documentation under the
RubyGems Documentation (I thought I saw that somewhere but can't find it
anymore).

Thanks for any help. It's greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Armin

PS: For those of you who want to tell me that I should run ruby in
cygwin rather than windows, perhaps we can postpone this discussion to
another time :)

PPS: If any of the rb-gsl authors/maintainers is reading this: Is there
a chance that you could publish rb-gsl as a gem so that people like me
could make use of your great library more easily?\