* Stefan Mahlitz <stefan / mahlitz-net.de> (22:40) schrieb:

> That's why clearcase (on windows) claimed my pure-ascii xml-file was
> non-text (and did refuse to check it in). One line exceeded 8000 characters.

You can't seriously treat a file with lines longer than 8000 characters
as line oriented. It's far from being readable by a human. You declare
that file as application/xml.

One small change in that line will produce a patch of more than 8000
characters. And if that change is at the end of the line the diff tool
will have to use 4 pages of memory for the compare.

> This is on my personal list of 'bad practices', but it may be
> appropriate to others.

I think it's bad practice to declare something with huge lines as text.

mfg,                       simon .... l