celldee wrote:
  > Are there a growing number of non-Rails Ruby jobs that I'm not
> spotting? Or are there really very few organisations that are willing
> to adopt Ruby as a general purpose scripting language?

Just my observations. I don't encounter it as an official
corporate/institutional language, however, I do see it a lot at the
sys-admin/java developer levels... bottom to top if you will. It's more
of an un-official language used by local developers who are on average
more inquisitive than most. I see Python usage like this too, however,
it seems to be moving more to an 'official' position in companies. Perl
is still strongly entrenched. Many Solaris Admins won't allow any other
interpreted language besides Perl and really prefer sh scripts as many
Perl scripts have rely on non-standard modules that aren't (and won't
be) installed for security reasons.

Just my 2 cents