Hi there.

On 21 Aug 2007, at 15:53, celldee wrote:
> I did a quick search on jobserve.com for 'ruby'. I got 60 hits, most
> of which were unsurprisingly asking for RoR developers. I did another
> search for 'perl' and got 958 hits. While I am very pleased that RoR
> is being more widely adopted, it would seem that there is little or no
> demand for Ruby developers outside of rails.
>
> Are there a growing number of non-Rails Ruby jobs that I'm not
> spotting? Or are there really very few organisations that are willing
> to adopt Ruby as a general purpose scripting language?

 From my searches on Jobserve over the last few months, it would seem
there is little demand for Ruby developers outside of Rails. It
certainly seems the case that demand for ruby skills is driven by
Rails, rather than the language being adopted in it's own right.

There has however been some increase in the number of RoR jobs, some
of which are even making it north of the border (I'm in Edinburgh,
Scotland). I've even had potential clients call me in the last few
weeks to ask about Rails for doing work they previously did with Java
or PHP.

Interesting times.

Douglas F Shearer
dougal.s / gmail.com