Bob Calco wrote:

> Everyone:
>
> OK, not to instigate Yet Another Which Is Better (YAWIB) session

Python sucks.

> Here's what I like about Python that I'm not sure is easy to do in Ruby:
>
> 1. I like the interactive console, a la IDLE and PythonWin.

You like these things about dynamic languages (those which can change class
definitions at runtime). Perl Python Ruby & Smalltalk do it. If the
dynamism comes first, the interactive console is easy to add.

> Mainly because
> I'm prototyping as I go

Right attitude, wrong expression. Instead of PrototypeFirst, what you
>should< like is TestFirst:

        http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?TestDrivenDesign

This means you record your prototypical challenge-n-response sessions
into a test framework (such as Lapidary), and then run them over and over
and over and over again as you progress. And all the tests make any code
changes you make very safe; you can refactor to improve the design at whim.

> 2. I like that I can use Visual C++ to write Python extensions.

Ruby does not have Boost Python Library, which is the best extension glue
layer out there. But BPL is not a valid reason to pick Python, and a Boost
Ruby Library should be very easy for someone out there to do.

> I'm not
> sure I have enough room on my laptop to get the whole cygwin environment

I ran many versions of CygWin on my long-suffering Win95-class notebook,
for many years, before kicking the habit and switching the whole thing to
Linux.

> if __name__ == '__main__':
> # get command line args and off we go
> else:
>
> trick. Is there a comparable way to do this in Ruby?

I'd grep ("Find in Files") my drive for .rb files containing 'main' to see
examples of this.

And all the documentation you need for Ruby is at groups.google.com.

> 1. Ruby's OOP is really OOP. As a C++ guy, I appreciate the access control
> of 'private', 'public' and 'protected' methods and data.

That's not OO. What's lacking in C++ and Python is Everything's An Object.

Here's a plug for my first Ruby project:

        http://flea.sourceforge.net

--
Phlip

http://www.greencheese.org/HatTrick