On 8/19/07, Daniel Berger <djberg96 / gmail.com> wrote:
> Tim Hunter wrote:
> > I've just purchased a new Intel-based iMac and installed Windows XP
> > using VMware Fusion. Now I'd like to build a new RMagick-win32 gem. The
> > instructions I have say that I must use Microsoft's VC++ Toolkit 2003.
> > However, I see that that compiler is no longer available from MS and,
> > from old ruby-lang posts, the 2005 version doesn't work as a replacement.
> VC++ 8 should work fine. I've built Ruby successfully with it. The only
> issue (that I've experienced) is the openssl library. If that's not a
> deal breaker, then I recommend that.
>
> BTW, In the benchmarks I've run, the Ruby I built with VC++ 8 was
> approximately 10% faster than one built with VC++ 6.

There are some tricks others (Nobu or NaHi, IIRC) have suggested to
maximize cross-runtime compatibility, but my experience is that it's
best if you have everything built with the same runtime. Both zlib and
openssl are easy to do this with, but the problem *ultimately* is that
you need to end up doing this with every single freakin' support
library.

Damn Microsoft and incompatible runtimes. Solaris manages fixes
without DLL hell. IBM does, too.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca