On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 05:30:43AM +0900, Trans wrote:
> On Aug 18, 12:12 pm, Jeremy Hinegardner <jer... / hinegardner.org>
> wrote:
> > launchy version 0.2.1 has been released.
> >
> >  http://copiousfreetime.rubyforge.org/launchy/
> >
> > Launchy is helper class for launching cross-platform applications in a fire and
> > forget manner.    There are application concepts (browser, email client, etc)
> > that are common across all platforms, and they may be launched differently on
> > each platform.  Launchy is here to make a common approach to launching external
> > application from within ruby programs.
> >
> > {{ Changelog for Version 0.2.1 }}
> >
> > === Version 0.2.1 - 2007-08-18
> >
> > * fix inability to find windows executables [Bug #13132]
> >
> >  http://copiousfreetime.rubyforge.org/launchy/
>

>   From within your ruby code you can trust launchy to do the right
> thing:
>
>       Launchy.do_magic("http://www.ruby-lang.org/")
>

> When you ultimately add new applications types, how will you be sure
> Launchy does the right thing? What if I did:
>
>       Launchy.do_magic("~/index.rhtml")
>
> For me "do_magic" seems a little too magic,

Yes, probably in hindsight a bad name.  Naming things appropriately is one
of the harder things to.  I did this one in a fit of joy.    I'm
probably going to change it.

> and as I mentioned before, Launchy::Spawnable::Browser a little too
> long.

I thought about this during this last update and I think I agree with
you now, so I'll be making a change here.  Such a long name for such
a little class..

> I understand wanting to have a "default" action, though I
> probably would have just named it #open rather then #do_magic, but
> what do you think of also having direct shortcuts like:
>
>   Launchy.browse(...)

I was originally was thinking in that direction, and hadn't decided if I
liked it or not.  I'll play with it a bit and see how I like it.  The
will probably be another release of launchy later this week.

> Thanks, T.

Thanks for the feedback.

enjoy,

-jeremy
 Jeremy Hinegardner                              jeremy / hinegardner.org