"Bob Calco" <rcalco / cortechs.com> writes:

> 2. I like that I can use Visual C++ to write Python extensions. I'm not sure
> I have enough room on my laptop to get the whole cygwin environment
> installed that Ruby seems (again, based on the documentation) to mandate for
> writing extensions, which are *.so files even on Windows. Also, the Visual
> C++ extension API is fairly well thought out, I'm not yet comfortable with
> the Ruby API, mainly because I'm only functional (not proficient) with GCC.

This is simply an artifact of using the cygwin distribution. If you
use the native Windows version of Ruby, you can use MSVC to build
extensions.

We're considering producing a single-click installer that installs the
MSVC version of Ruby, but in the meantime, downloading the the source
and building on Windows is just a matter of following the README in
the win32 directory.

> 5. I also like the fact that any Python script can be written so as to be
> included as a module in another script, via the
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
> 	# get command line args and off we go
> else:
>
> trick. Is there a comparable way to do this in Ruby?

 if __FILE__ == $0

Regards

Dave