Elliot Temple wrote:
> The top link on del.icio.us is a site with all the Calvin + Hobbes
> strips. I thought I'd download them before they get taken down. Here's
> the code if you want, it's very short. Newer people can also see how
> easy it is to use open-uri for simple web scraping.
>
> Before running this consider buying the comics

No, first consider the people hosting the content you're snarfing.

They're footing the bill for bandwidth and hosting.

> ... FYI the images total
> about 112 megs. There's 3691 of them.

And not a single "sleep" in the script.  Nice.

I see this sort of shit on ruby-doc.org, spiders ruthlessly fetching
every page in site, one right after another.

It's rude, at the least.

Stupid, too.

James Britt

www.ruby-doc.org