Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:26498] Re: String#== : Why not error with different type?"
    on 01/11/26, Ryo Furue <furufuru / ccsr.u-tokyo.ac.jp> writes:

|I got it!  Thanks for the explanation.  It seems that I've spent too
|much time with statically-typed languages and I've been "spoiled" by
|the sense of security that statically-taped-ness brings.  But, I
|wonder:  Don't you (not only you, Matz, but also you Ruby programmers
|in general) a little bit fear this flexibility?  I said "sense of
|security" because type mismatch very often indicates mistakes.

If you go though the unit test, bugs like that can be found easily.
I believe static typing does not buy you much.  Just "sense of
security", excuse, and optimization oppotunity.  They aren't worth the
price of flexibility for most of the cases.

							matz.