On Aug 18, 12:12 pm, Jeremy Hinegardner <jer... / hinegardner.org>
wrote:
> launchy version 0.2.1 has been released.
>
>  http://copiousfreetime.rubyforge.org/launchy/
>
> Launchy is helper class for launching cross-platform applications in a fire and
> forget manner.    There are application concepts (browser, email client, etc)
> that are common across all platforms, and they may be launched differently on
> each platform.  Launchy is here to make a common approach to launching external
> application from within ruby programs.
>
> {{ Changelog for Version 0.2.1 }}
>
> === Version 0.2.1 - 2007-08-18
>
> * fix inability to find windows executables [Bug #13132]
>
>  http://copiousfreetime.rubyforge.org/launchy/

  From within your ruby code you can trust launchy to do the right
thing:

      Launchy.do_magic("http://www.ruby-lang.org/")

When you ultimately add new applications types, how will you be sure
Launchy does the right thing? What if I did:

      Launchy.do_magic("~/index.rhtml")

For me "do_magic" seems a little too magic, and as I mentioned before,
Launchy::Spawnable::Browser a little too long. I understand wanting to
have a "default" action, though I probably would have just named it
#open rather then #do_magic, but what do you think of also having
direct shortcuts like:

  Launchy.browse(...)

Thanks,
T.