The problem is a rogue IT person did give me sudo, but then our machines
are replaced, and all the work goes away. They don't want to install and
support anything. If it's not in my filesystem, it essentially doesn't
exist over tim because the machines are replaced.

My linux system at home is more decked out than my work.