I have a Mac OS X system.  I wrote a Ruby program that uses RubyTk to
display a TkLabel.  It works, but I'd like a bit more control over how
it looks.  Here's the code minus the non-Tk stuff that isn't relevant
to my questions:

require 'tk'

answer = 'test'
TkLabel.new do
  text answer
  foreground 'yellow'
  background 'black'
  #     place('x' => 400, 'y' = 400)
  pack('padx' => 15, 'pady' => 15)
end

def timer_loop3
  exit
end
TkAfter.new(3000,              # milliseconds
            -1,                # ?
            proc{timer_loop3}  # what to call when the timer expires
).start

Tk.mainloop

The program displays a label for 3 seconds and exits, as intended,
but...

1. How do I control the placement of the label on the screen?  It now
apppears
   near the upper left-hand corner.  I tried "place" (commented out)
with no
   luck.
2. How can I make the label appear on top of other windows?  It naw
appears
   "under" other windows, so I only see the label if I keep the
upper-left part
   of my screen free of other windows.
3. Is there a way to remove the borders?  I don't need the title bar.
4. I use this as a Mac OS X service, dufined with ThisService, a great
little
   program.  When I run it as a service, two windows appear.  One is
titled "tk"
   and the other is the same as what I see when I run the program from
the
   command line.  Can I get rid of the "tk" window?
5. Of course, is there a better way to do this?

-- Pete