On Aug 17, 8:22 am, Xavier Noria <f... / hashref.com> wrote:
> Can anyone explain whether there's a direct relationship between the
> "singleton" in "singleton pattern" and the "singleton" in "singleton
> class"?

There is not. It's an unfortunate name collision that can confuse
those new to the language and terminology. (It certainly confused me
for a while.) If you search the archives, you will see a LOT of
discussion over renaming "singleton class" to something else.

I even started a page on the RubyGarden wiki to help collect and
discuss the various proposals, but that seems not to be working now.

http://rubygarden.org:3000/Ruby/page/show/RenamingSingletonClass