On Aug 17, 2007, at 4:10 PM, Todd Benson wrote:

> On 8/17/07, Arno J. <jub / sowenga.net> wrote:
>> unknown wrote:
>>> Singleton classes are classes.
>>
>> Yes, I was just trying to make a slight difference, just like we
>> don't
>> say "variables" but "instance variables", while both are variables :)
>
> The idea of singletons is to allow to add (or subtract) functionality
> to single objects.  Little happy people floating around with each
> their own thing to do :)

Can anyone explain whether there's a direct relationship between the
"singleton" in "singleton pattern" and the "singleton" in "singleton
class"? I mean, does the singleton class implement the singleton
pattern somehow (I am not aware of any instance of the singleton
class) and hence the name? Or is "singleton" there used just because
of the meaning it conveys to the class, so to speak, and not because
of the pattern?

-- fxn