William James wrote:

> What if someone had said to you when you released "FasterCSV":
> "You are pretty much rewriting CSV here.  Why do that when we
> could just use it instead?"

Point made. However...

> Why do you want people to be dependent on your slow, bloated
> code?  You perhaps think that if there is an alternative,
> you won't be paid any more money.

From JEG2's own blog post:

"If your number one concern when working with CSV data in Ruby is raw
speed, you might want to know that FasterCSV is no longer the fastest
option."

http://blog.grayproductions.net/articles/2007/04/16/no-longer-the-fastest-game-in-town

Your code may or may not be faster -- you've offered no comparison.
Regardless, I doubt that JEG2 was trying to stifle your efforts; just
suggesting that you may want to avoid reinventing the wheel.

David