On Aug 16, 1:18 pm, Rich <richpoir... / gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 16, 9:14 am, Jay Levitt <jay+n... / jay.fm> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 02:57:30 -0000, Rich wrote:
> > > Ok I've narrowed down the environment part of the problem. What's
> > > taking long is the require_frameworks method in rails' Initializer.
> > > The active_record, action_controller and action_web_services
> > > frameworks take a while (a few seconds each) to load. So now the
> > > question is why? I'm not sure where to look to dig deeper into this,
> > > i.e., see what the require method is actually doing. Any ideas?
>
> > Probably useless data point:
>
> > On my 3GHz dual-core Athlon, under either Cygwin or virtualized Ubuntu,
> > with RAID-0 10,000-RPM drives, initializing the rails environment takes
> > 7-10 seconds.
>
> > On my 2.16GHz dual-core MacBook Pro, with a single 5200-RPM drive,
> > initializing the rails environment takes a second or two.
>
> > You can imagine my workaround.
>
> > Jay Levitt
>
> That's really interesting Jay. I'm running RoR on my HP dual core AMD
> Turion 1.6GHz laptop. So maybe the 10+ seconds my environment takes to
> initialize is normal for my system then? Should I just get a MacBook
> or is there any way I can speed the initialization up?

Ok here's an easy way to compare performance. I decided to see if it
would be any quicker at work so I installed InstantRails and just ran
rake in the rails_apps/typo-2.6.0 directory and it took 44 seconds
total. With trace on, I can see that the environment task takes about
8 seconds, and the test_unit and test_functional tasks take about 12
seconds each -- that's 12 seconds of loading before any actual tests
are run; the tests themselves run quite quickly (a fraction of a
second each). This was a completely clean installation of InstantRails
on a machine that had never touched ruby or rails before. Could
someone else try the same and see how long rake takes in the
typo-2.6.0 app? Thanks.