On Aug 16, 2007, at 10:18 AM, Ben Bleything wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2007, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> So first byte should be 0xFF, second byte & 0xFE should equal 0xFA.
>> that is only for layer-3.
>>
>> However if the MP3 has ID3v1 tags then it will start with "ID3".
>
> Actually, ID3v1 tags go at the end of the file, ID3v2 tags go at the
> beginning (usually; they're supported in both locations).
>
> Ben

That's one point I was definitely concerned about. Some sites
describe one or the other, but don't always carefully make the
distinction which ID3 version.

Well, my script seems to work. For my current purposes it should be
enough, but I'm still a little fuzzy on what it means to AND the
bytes FFFE and FFFA ?

What kind of AND?

I'm not only trying to have a working script, I want to know what I'm
doing here so next time I don't have to ask
(this is the first time I've delved into binary file structures, so
bear with me here.)
I am learning a lot with this. thanks