Ronald Fischer wrote:
> I have a string representing the name of a java file. I would
> like to get a new string, where the extension .java has been
> replaced by .class.

[...]

> This works fine, but I wonder whether there isn't a more
> elegant way to do it.

If you are *really* lazy:

   require 'rake'   # NOTE: Not running rake, just using its library.

   java_file = "filename.java"
   class_file = java_file.ext("class")

If you have a bunch of files that need this, you can do:

   require 'rake'

   java_files = FileList['src/**/*.java']
   class_files = java_files.ext("class")

If you need more extensive filename manipulation, check out the
"pathmap" method (available on both FileLists and Strings when using
rake).

--
-- Jim Weirich