On Thu, Aug 16, 2007, John Joyce wrote:
> Though I'm going to need some testing... the magic file (not always
> easy to read)
> says this :
> # MPEG 1.0 Layer 3
> 0       beshort&0xfffe  =0xfffa         \bMP3
>
> I'm not 100% sure, but Adam said 0xFFFB or 0xFFFA, and the magic file
> lists only FFFA or does it mean FFFE and/or FFFA ?

Do "man magic" (or possibly man 5 magic, or man -s 5 magic), and it
should describe the format of the file.  Basically, it's offset, type,
magic, message.  Numeric types can be specified with &0xnnnn, where the
number is ANDed with the magic.  I'm basically just quoting from the
manpage, though, so give it a gander.

Unix is cool :)

Ben