Thanks for all that everyone. I'm a bit lost after a whole afternoon of
trail and error.  What I'm trying to do is read a csv. file that has
different rows and multiple coloumns. The way it's currently done is
putting each row into an array, and retrieve each column using the
element number.

For example, a file with a line like this (CSV)
16/08/07,working hard

My codes are like this:
for row in csv_rows
   begin
        parsed[]
        CSV.parse_row(row, 0, parsed)
        date_string = parsed[0]         => 16/08/07
        description = parsed[1]         => working hard
   end

The problem I have is some file come in as
"16/08/07,working hard"

I have a feeling that I need to remove the quotes before the
CSV.parse_row line. But how?

Thanks