On Aug 15, 2007, at 7:20 PM, Wayne E. Seguin wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2007, at 12:58 , Tim Bray wrote:
>> On Aug 10, 2007, at 9:52 AM, harry pillei wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking into investing in an editor for working with ruby
>>> (including
>>> rails), any recommendations?.
>>> Experience and feedback appreciated.
>>
>> On the Mac, NetBeans is wicked fast.  And, as of a couple of
>> builds ago, it has an actual useful Find Usages.  Find
>> Usages!!!!!  That's the single most important thing an IDE can do
>> for you after the basic syntax help.  Any other Ruby IDEs have that?
>
> TextMate has a find in project which works similarly.

Well, that one is a project-wide grep, so to speak. I'd expect from
Find Usages to understand the language, for instance, I select a
method on some class definition and it finds those matches. Same for
variables in a certain scope, etc.

In practice Find/Replace in Project with the ability of selecting
which occurrences to act upon is good enough in my refactorings (as
provided by TM). Of course the more intelligent the assistance the
better, so that Find Usage, if it was as accurate as in a statically
typed language it would be great.

-- fxn