Excuse my ignorance, but how does partial reference counting work?

-----Original Message-----
From: Yukihiro Matsumoto [mailto:matz / ruby-lang.org]
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2001 7:42 AM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: [ruby-talk:26455] Re: [OT] Re: KDE or GNOME curiosity
question...

Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:26374] Re: [OT] Re: KDE or GNOME curiosity
question..."
    on 01/11/25, "Mark Hahn" <mchahn / facelink.com> writes:

|How hard would it be to have an option to use reference counting in a
|particular class?

It must be pretty hard under the current implementation.  The garbage
collector sits in the middle of the core.  I'm now investigating
partial reference count (maybe 1bit refcounting) for Rite.  It should
provide you immediate object finalization (if you're lucky) and thread
safety.

							matz.