On 14 ao?t, 16:55, Simon Krahnke <overl... / gmx.li> wrote:
> * unbewust <yvon.thora... / gmail.com> (10:46) schrieb:
>
> > that's OK for input of octal number if for example, from ruby the user
> > write :
>
> > this_file.perms = 0777  (then with the first 0)
>
> > i get the right number
>
> > however, for the time being, i'm returning, for the same value :
> > 777 instead of 0777  when the user wants to read the perms,, then my
> > question how to return within a C est to Ruby an integer coded in
> > octal ???
>
> A integer in ruby is a numeric value, it's not octal or decimal.
>
> > thought, at that time i'm usinbg INT2FIX (  )
>
> A string representation of a number can be octal or decimal or whatever.
> The Ruby as well and the C library have means to convert between numbers
> and its string representations.

OK thanks

the reason for me to output as an octal number it is an habit when
talking about perms...
i'll look at the C library to output that the correct way.

> num = "775".to_i(8)
> dec = num.to_s             #> "509"
> oct = num.to_s(8)          #> "775"

i've allready a way to output my number as an octal "775" BUT i'll
like having better "0775" because in the C language the first 0 means
octal and i ask for xhen input .

> mfg,                      simon .... l
>
> > best
>
> > Yvon
>
> BTW: The german word unbewusst is written with two s. :-)

yes i know, i didn't cacht my misspelling ;-)

vielen dank ;-)

Yvon