On 8/14/07, Ronald Fischer <ronald.fischer / venyon.com> wrote:
> > Just wondering if any Muslims have gotten around to making a
> > Ruby script
> > that like plays a sound or something when it's time for prayer.
>
> I guess time for prayer is at certain times per day? You could
> get the current time with Time.now, then sleep the appropriate
> time to the next prayer, and then wake up and to whatever you
> would like to do.

Hi,

you could also have a look at :

http://openwferu.rubyforge.org/scheduler.html

to install it :

   sudo gem install openwferu-scheduler

then write a program that looks like :

---8<---

require 'rubygems'
require 'openwfe/util/scheduler'

include OpenWFE

scheduler = Scheduler.new
scheduler.start

scheduler.schedule("0 6 * * *") do
   puts "time for the morning prayer"
end
scheduler.schedule("0 12 * * *") do
   puts "time for the noon prayer"
end

# or

scheduler.schedule("0 6,8,12,16,18 * * *") do
   puts "bismillah..."
end
--->8---

The scheduler follows the "cron" convention
(http://www.google.com/search?q=man%205%20crontab)

Maybe you're better off with a ruby program triggered by the cron in
your system (if it's a Unix / MacOSX one).

Best regards,

--
John Mettraux   -///-   http://jmettraux.openwfe.org