"Tobias Reif" <tobiasreif / pinkjuice.com> wrote in message
news:3C00D47F.6070005 / pinkjuice.com...
> MikkelFJ wrote:
>
>  > Of course - if it runs on the web it also runs locally.
>
> I also had that idea; but unless many platforms work this way, you would
> have to ship a server and a browser with the app; for many apps, that's
> overkill.

I guess you just answered that youself in the next sentence:

> BTW; what about a tiny Ruby server for local SVGUI apps? As soon as

It is relatively simple to a have a small http server driving the GUI,
assuming most interaction happens in the script embedded in the page being
viewed. You'd of course assume the desktop already has a browser, but you
might have to include SVG viewer or point to a download site.
But you don't need necessarily need a browser to use SVG technology. That
would of course require more work if you want crossplatform ans websupport
as well, but might give or more whole application.

The problem with the tiny-server approach is that you can easily access
databases and similar the same way you would on a real server. But that is
for the application to solve using sockets or whatever to separate GUI from
business logic.

> Appendix C: IDL Definitions
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/idl.html

It's a while back, but I did look at these links. Essentially it defines how
a function should look like, but now how you would actually build and link
such a function. I haven't found a standard SVG IDL compiler or plugin
interface. I may be mistaken and I admittedly don't know much about browser
technology.

Mikkel