Hi Mark,

Sunday, November 25, 2001, 6:12:56 PM, you wrote:

MH> I'm using ruby-1.6.5-i586-mswin32 and I'm having a rough time getting my
MH> rubyfltk.dll built in MSVC to work.  Can someone point me to a MSVC project
MH> with source for a working ruby DLL?  It doesn't matter how big or small, I
MH> just need an existence proof to compare my dll to.

I've had some success using VC to compile modulues for Ruby. I'm using
VC6.0 and compiled and installed Ruby1.6.5 with it.

I've managed to compile and install RUDL, a Ruby SDL library and the
Ruby SWIG examples modules by using the command line. Usually
something like:

Set the vc environment variables (vcvars32.bat needs to be in your
path)
>vcvars32.bat

Create the makefile
>ruby extconf.rb

make using M$ make

>nmake

test if available
>nmake test

install
>nmake install

This seems to produce modules with the .so extension as specified in
the makefile, but I assume these are dll's with a different extension.

I started using the VC version after having problems with networking
using XMLRPC and dRuby with the Cygwin version of Ruby. I'm not sure
if this was just something strange in my cygwin stuff but switching to
VC fixed.

--
Best regards,
 Martin                            mailto:martin / optushome.com.au