Albert Wagner wrote:

>So, who wrote this book.  Has he frequented this list?  What does he know
>about Ruby?

Well, that would be me, with some help from David Alan Black and others,
and you might say I infrequent the list. As I've been intent on keeping
my mouth shut while working (else the tongue lolls embarrassingly out,
like Michael Jordan's), perhaps the infrequency has been more pronounced
of late. Fortunately the project is getting quite close to completion.

It's been interesting to follow the discussion here of the merits of the
whole Dummies genre. I've picked up Dummmies books on topics I knew
nothing about, and found them helpful, at least on a couple of
occasions. Some are better written than others.

Without confining this book to that particular pigeonhole, I will say
that it does not assume the reader has a programming background.
Comparisons with C++/Java/Perl are pointed out here and there, but only
as asides; the primary aim is to make the concepts accessible to people
who are reasonably literate in the general (humanistic?) rather than
technical sense.

  Mark