Felix Windt wrote:

>> I've tried "\1" instead of "\&," too. Same result. I've also
>>
> If you're hardcoding replacements like that and are certain that your
> source
> is well formed xml, you could also just skip the back references:
>
> irb(main):001:0> "<registrantName>Normandy Group
> LLC</registrantName>".gsub!(/registrantName>/, 'SUB.HEAD4>')
> => "<SUB.HEAD4>Normandy Group LLC</SUB.HEAD4>"
> irb(main):002:0>

I don't quite understand your suggestion, Felix. Yes, I believe my
source data is well-formed XML. Are you suggesting that, somehow,
because it is well-formed XML, I can ignore the element closings? I
tried what I thought you meant by:

xmlfile.gsub!(/<registrantName>/, '<SUB.HEAD4>')

and, I got the subhead callout at the beginning of the data, but, the
closing element still is there--</registrantName>/

-Peter