Ian Stephenson wrote:
> "joviyach" <joviyach / gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1186927956.576751.210850 / i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
>> Developing using things like MySQL, PHP, and Ruby has been an absolute
>> nightmare on my Windows XP environment. I was wondering if Ubuntu, or
>> some other flavour of Linux would be much better? I like what I have
>> seen from Ubuntu, so far, but wonder how "RoR friendly" it is?
>>
>> <RANT>With Windows, I seem to spend more time trying to make the
>> development environment actually work, than doing any development.
>> It's really quite aggravating.</RANT>
>>
>> Any advice appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jim
>>

> If you are willing to try persevering with Windows one more time before
> jumping to Linux or OS/X then have a look at Instant Rails
> (http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?HomePage).  Here is a quote
> from the website:
>
> "Instant Rails is a one-stop Rails runtime solution containing Ruby, Rails,
> Apache, and MySQL, all preconfigured and ready to run. No installer, you
> simply drop it into the directory of your choice and run it. It does not
> modify your system environment."
>
> Ian

Instant Rails has Scite bundled, right? I know it's in the One-Click
Installer, but I've forgotten what the overlap points are between
Instant Rails and the One-Click Installer.

By the way, IIRC Instant Rails also includes PHP, so it's also a
complete WAMP stack as well as a complete Rails stack. At some point
when I run out of useful things to do with my time, I'll see if I can
get the Moodle course management system to work with the PHP in Instant
Rails. :)

Just kidding ...