On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 01:19:06AM +0900, Logan Capaldo wrote:
> On 8/12/07, ara.t.howard <ara.t.howard / gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Aug 12, 2007, at 9:30 AM, Logan Capaldo wrote:
> >

> > > I think this kind of defeats the purpose of  Launchy though no?  I
> > > thought
> > > the idea  was to use the user's preferred browser instead of "a
> > > browser" w/o
> > > needing to config it. By making them set an env var to get the right
> > > browser, there's really no point in using Launchy at all. Any nix ruby
> > > script can easily query an env on it's lonesome, or try a list of
> > > possible
> > > browsers, I thought (correct me if I am wrong) was that the point
> > > of Launchy
> > > was to do the "hard part" of detecting the user's preferred browser.
> > >

> > the point of the environment var is for those cases when it cannot be
> > detected or, for example, debugging launchy itself - there is no
> > requirement to set it.  letting users override stuff is the unix way
> > - trying to make a reasonable guess in all other cases is the realm
> > of applications like launchy.  always guessing correctly is a very
> > tall order: the 'preferred' browser on our sysad machines is 'lynx'
> > because we do not run X, nevertheless we do use a browser for hitting
> > admin panels, etc.  it's unreasonable to expect a library to run in
> > such an environment.  in any case i think a reasonable algorithm, in
> > order of degredation, is
> >
> >    - use user provided default iff given
> >
> >    - use a preferred list of browser guessers (htmlview, for example)
> >
> >    - use a preferred list of browsers
> >
> >    - prompt user for browser, cache answer for next time
>

> I agree mostly. However a lib with a method named "do_magic" should try very
> hard to fulfill that implicit promise IMO. (And I don't see why xdg-open or
> equivalent couldn't invoke lynx.) Man, I sound whiny today :)

Yes that is my goal, part of this release was to get feedback on other
ways to do things.  I don't have 'every' system; so the feedback is
necessary for launchy to "do_magic".

Great feedback all around guys, I appreciate it.  I'll put it all
together and have another release out today which will hopefully work
for even MORE users.

enjoy,

-jeremy

 Jeremy Hinegardner                              jeremy / hinegardner.org