joviyach wrote:
> Developing using things like MySQL, PHP, and Ruby has been an absolute
> nightmare on my Windows XP environment. I was wondering if Ubuntu, or
> some other flavour of Linux would be much better? I like what I have
> seen from Ubuntu, so far, but wonder how "RoR friendly" it is?

Install Ruby from source and skip the debs.  You'll get the most current
version.  And don't look for "RoR friendly", look for developer
friendly; it's a big world and you're doing yourself a disservice to
focus on any one tool.

> <RANT>With Windows, I seem to spend more time trying to make the
> development environment actually work, than doing any development.
> It's really quite aggravating.</RANT>

Getting Ruby running on WinXP is snake simple.   There are some binaries
that are a pain to install, but I was doing Ruby dev on Win32 since 2001.

In the long run I migrated to Ubuntu, largely because there were some
annoying quirks when building Web apps in WinXP but deploying to CentOS.

--
James Britt

"We are using here a powerful strategy of synthesis: wishful thinking."
   - H. Abelson and G. Sussman
   (in "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs)