------art_22366_7956347.1186932656772

On 8/12/07, ara.t.howard <ara.t.howard / gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2007, at 3:53 AM, Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:
>

> > According to the documentation on the homepage:
> > APP_LIST   :windows %w[ firefox iexplore ], :darwin %w
> > [ open ],
> >              :nix %w[ firefox ], :unknown [], }
> > So on OSX it uses the default browser and on any other system
> > firefox, if
> > installed, or IE or nothing. I have to say, I find that somewhat
> > suboptimal.
> > Certainly it's possible to detect the default browser on Windows,
> > KDE and
> > GNOME, too, right? (Although, of course, it's still possible that
> > someone
> > has neither KDE or GNOME installed or that he has both and is
> > running neither,
> > which would make it hard to choose which default browser to use on
> > *nix).
> >

> but no patch?  ;-)
>
> i think it's pretty simple on *nix
>
>    launchy_browser  NV['LAUNCHY_BROWSER']
>
>    autocmds  w[ htmlview ]        ### and which ever others exist
> for kde, etc
>
>    realcmds  w[ firefox mozilla ] ### and some others
>

>    cmds   launchy_browser, autocmds, realcmds ].flatten.map{|cmd|
> "( #{ cmd } >/dev/null 2>&1 )"}
>
>    cmd  mds.join ' || '
>
>    system cmd
>
> you could do some detection crap, but simply having a preferred list
> of 'commands that find browsers' followed by a reasonable list of
> browsers is going to work on 99% of *nix boxes.  for everyone else
> they can set an env var and all will be well.  any unix user that
> can't manage to set environment vars to make non-standard setups work
> does deserve to surf the web anyhow ;-)

I think this kind of defeats the purpose of  Launchy though no?  I thought
the idea  was to use the user's preferred browser instead of "a browser" w/o
needing to config it. By making them set an env var to get the right
browser, there's really no point in using Launchy at all. Any nix ruby
script can easily query an env on it's lonesome, or try a list of possible
browsers, I thought (correct me if I am wrong) was that the point of Launchy
was to do the "hard part" of detecting the user's preferred browser.

cheers.