On Aug 12, 2007, at 3:53 AM, Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:

> According to the documentation on the homepage:
> APP_LIST = { :windows => %w[ firefox iexplore ], :darwin => %w
> [ open ],
>              :nix => %w[ firefox ], :unknown => [], }
> So on OSX it uses the default browser and on any other system
> firefox, if
> installed, or IE or nothing. I have to say, I find that somewhat
> suboptimal.
> Certainly it's possible to detect the default browser on Windows,
> KDE and
> GNOME, too, right? (Although, of course, it's still possible that
> someone
> has neither KDE or GNOME installed or that he has both and is
> running neither,
> which would make it hard to choose which default browser to use on
> *nix).

but no patch?  ;-)

i think it's pretty simple on *nix

   launchy_browser = ENV['LAUNCHY_BROWSER']

   autocmds = %w[ htmlview ]        ### and which ever others exist
for kde, etc

   realcmds = %w[ firefox mozilla ] ### and some others

   cmds = [ launchy_browser, autocmds, realcmds ].flatten.map{|cmd|
"( #{ cmd } >/dev/null 2>&1 )"}

   cmd = cmds.join ' || '

   system cmd

you could do some detection crap, but simply having a preferred list
of 'commands that find browsers' followed by a reasonable list of
browsers is going to work on 99% of *nix boxes.  for everyone else
they can set an env var and all will be well.  any unix user that
can't manage to set environment vars to make non-standard setups work
does deserve to surf the web anyhow ;-)

cheers.

a @ http://drawohara.com/
better. simply reflect on that.